Maritime Collections and Memorials
The Heritage Council’s Audit of Maritime Collections is here
Although hours of opening and admission prices are noted here on some exhibitions, do check directly with the venue. Please let us know of any additions or ammendments
National Museum – Collins Barracks Dublin 1
Tuesday – Saturday: 10am – 5pm, Sunday: 2pm – 5pm
Closed Mondays, Christmas Day and Good Friday
Telephone: +353 1 6777444
Armada guns recovered from Streedagh Co Sligo also the Bantry yawl – Admiral Neilly’s barge captured during the expedition to Bantry Bay.
The medals collection has some lifesaving medals and Tayleur medal. The Tayleur Bell was acquired early in 2013, it used to be in the Dublin Civic Museum.
There are items salvaged from the Lusitania.
The restored Asgard is in a separate building
Dublin Civic Museum
Closed 2003. reopened July 2013
Open Tues to Sat, 10am to 6pm, Sun 11am to 2pm
Irish Lights Museum – Bailey Lighthouse Howth Co Dublin
Private collection relating to Commissioners of Irish Lights and lighthouse equipment, not generally open to the public. In the Bailey Lighthouse, Howth.
Howth Harbour Coastguard Station
Exhibition relating to lifesaving and award of Tayleur medal to Coastguard Woodley.
There is a memorial to fishermen and others lost at sea including some of those lost in wartime in the car park between the two piers.
Guinness Storehouse Museum – Dublin
Material relating to Guinness ships and Liffey Lighters. Also film of canal barges used to transport beer. Archive of photos, ships bells and fragment of bomb which struck ship during WW2.
Grand canal Visitors Centre – Hannover Dock Ringsend
Photographic display relating to canals in Ireland. Models of operation of locks
Closed for “the season”. Visits posible by prior arangement.
Hannover basin – Ringsend
Some historic craft afloat including MV Naomh Eanna – Aran Island ferry built Dublin 1957 and Mary B Stanford lifeboat which accompanied the Daunt Light vessel for days as she drifted before a hurricane, nearby on south quays is Dublin port diving bell. Across the river is the floating restaurant Cill Airne built in the Dublin dockyard in 1960. Believed to be the second last riveted ship built in Europe. (The last being the Naom Eanna, see article on Heritage Boats in Grand Canal Dock )
Prince of Wales and Rochdale memorials
Headstones mark the burial place of the victims of this 1807 disaster (see article on this site) at Monkstown cemetery (access key with electrical shop at the bottom of the hill). Dalkey Heritage centre (churchyard adjoining the castle) and Williamstown cemetery beside the Tara Towers Hotel on the Merrion road.
Seamen’s war memorial – City Quay – Dublin
Anchor on granite plinth commemorating Irish merchant seamen lost during second world war.
On the third Sunday of every November, there is a commomeration here, to remember them. The morning starts with mass in City Quay parish and concludes with Evensong in St Patrick’s Cathedral.
St Patricks Cathedral, Dublin
Statue and grave of Boyd who died in the attempted rescue from shipwrecks at Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) in 1861.
East Pier Dun Laoghaire
Ajax memorial to seaman from HMS Ajax who lost their lives attempting a rescue in 1861. It consists of a small obelisk.
There are other memorials, such as the lifeboatmen, lost in the Palme rescue. Every Christmas Eve a piper leads a group along the pier to remember them.
A more recent memorial is to remember those who emigrated from this harbour.
The anchor from RMS Leinster on plinth near Carlisle pier Dun Laoghaire from whence she sailed before being torpedoed in November 1918. The Military Cemetery at Blackhorse Ave Dublin has about 70 graves of the military casualties of the torpedoing of the Leinster,1918. A plaque is in the Church of Ireland at the Junction of Stillorgan road and Foster Avenue. There are graves in Deans Grange cemetery as well. During the summer months, there are tours of the cemetry.
Mariner’s Church Dun Laoghaire
Which houses the National Maritime Museum of Ireland, operated by the Maritime Institute of Ireland.
Maritime material, particullartly strong with a local, Dún Laoghaire emphasis. It contains the Bailey Optic, some 70 ship models, Material relating to Thomas Halpin and his cable laying work with Great Eastern.
There is an extensive Library including Lloyds Register of shipping 1840-date
Open daily 11am to 4pm
Trinity College Dublin
In the Engineering department (Museum Building) there are Engineering models of the float and shear legs used to operate the Dublin Port Diving bell and block float used to lay the elements of the piers at Dublin port. These relate to the Engineer Bindon Blood Stoney who was professor and Port Engineer. Model of the Diving bell was in St Andrews resource centre in nearby Pearse street. The St Andrews churchyard the burial place of the divers Spalding and Watson who lost their lives in 1783 bell diving on the Belgioso. Their graves are unmarked and exact location is unknown
Dalkey Martello Tower
Major restoration of an 1803 Martello tower built to resist French Invasion with significant exhibition, equipment, and a replica (working) cannon.
Newbridge House Donabate
Binnacle, headstones, and other items recovered from the Wreck of the Tayleur 1854
Rush town square
Kedge anchor and stone commemorating the 380 lost on the Tayleur
Kedge anchor and stone commemorating the 380 lost on the Tayleur
A new memorial has been made at the bandstand near the lifeboat station, it consists of the former coastguard practice mast with plaques naming seamen lost in the area.
Howth memorial near the Yacht club in Howth commemorates those lost at sea from Howth or in the area.
Balbriggan maritime museum
A project in early stages being prepared by a local group in a former lifeboat house near the harbour based on Balbriggan Maritime heritage.
Hook Head Lighthouse
Open daily 9.30 am to 5 pm
Display of material relating to light keeping at this, possibly the oldest lighthouse in Europe. Tower open to public.
Nearby at Foulksmills is the beached Waterford harbour dredger Port Lairge (Built Dublin 1890) with its 1890 steam engine intact but otherwise decayed.
Wexford County Library
has an exhibition of figureheads from Wexford shipwrecks
The library has podcasts of local history, many of maritime interest, available at http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Library/OralHistoryPodcasts/
Kilmore Quay Maritime Museum – Co Wexford
Sadly gone and lightship cutup
Exhibition, several fine figureheads, aboard lightship Guillemot moored in concrete at Kilmore Quay, many trawled artefacts on seafront, Nearby on seafront memorial to those lost at sea from all causes including in wartime.
The museum ship has been cut up on site and the fate of the collection is unknown.
Duncannon fort maritime museum – Co Wexford
The museum at Duncannon Fort is clased for renovations. They hope to reopen in 2014.
Collection in former fortress, includes brass cannon trawled from sea locally and many other trawled items.
Full size trawler bridge and display on wartime losses in South East.
Rosslare Maritime Enthusiasts now have a museum, see : https://www.facebook.com/RosslareHarbourMaritimeHeritageCentre
Port of Cork
A model of the Helga can be seen in the Port of Cork Company’s headquarters at the Custom House.
It is also home to a fine collection of historic maritime art. Most notable among the collection are a number of maritime paintings by George Mounsey Wheatley Atkinson.
Some of the paintings can be seen on this page
Titanic Park, Cobh
There is an exhibition on the Titanic in the former offices of the White Star Line. see: http://www.titanicexperiencecobh.ie/
Fort Camden Cork harbour
Coastal fort and artillery recently reopened to the public, but now closed until next spring.
Cotters Pub in Crosshaven has a collection of photographs and artefacts.
Drive shaft from the Sirius mounted on seafront
Haulbowline naval base
Museum with material the Irish navy base and former activity in British times.
Situated in the Naval barracks built in 1800 which is still in use.
View by appointment.
Cobh – Lusitania memorial, Cobh museum
The former Methodist church off road into town contains paintings of cork harbour
Contains photos of US fleet in cork during WW1.
Memorial in Cobh co Cork, memorial on Old head of Kinsale, headstone on main burial site at Cobh Cemetery, some graves at St Multose church Kinsale.
There is a small museum in the church with material on Cobh. An exhibition on emigration is in the old railway station just beside the White Star pier.
The Commodore Hotel has many artefacts.
phone: 353 (21) 4 813591
Opening Hours for Cobh Heritage Centre
Monday to Saturday 9.30 am to 5.00pm
Sundays and Bank Holidays 11.00 am to 5.00 pm
Lusitania oar and lifebelt in Castletownsend church, also memorial to Admiral Somerville and other members of this naval family.
Bushe’s bar Baltimore
Collection of material recovered locally from Kowloon Bridge etc Many photographs.
Paintings at Crawford gallery
Collection of maritime paintings of Cork
Bantry House French Armada Museum
Collection of items recovered from La Surveillante which was scuttled during French attempt to land with Wolfe Tone at Bantry Bay in 1797. A large anchor stands the southern approach to town. (currently closed)
Mizen Head Lighthouse
More correctly the fog signal station is open to the public. Extensive display of lighthouse keeping with maritime artefacts. Cannon lifted from the nearby wreck of the Impatiente. Following repair of the bridge access resumed.
Figurehead and bells from ships wrecked locally in market house in centre of town including cannon retrieved from shipwrecks. Several Lusitania artefacts.
Open: Saturday and Sunday
Fenit Pier museum
Contains boat which landed Roger Casement from U 19
Limerick city museum
Full diving dress used in harbour work locally
Valentia Island Museum, Knightstown
Display on cable laying in 1890s from Valentia, you can see the cable on a beach nearby and the buildings of the cable and radio station survive.
Quilty Co Clare
Church erected with assistance from rescued sailors of Leon XIII, wrecked offshore in 1907, the bell at altar is the ship’s bell.
Beleek castle Hotel Ballina Co Mayo
Colection of Armada artefacts in private museum assessable only to hotel residents. Nearby is the Creteboom, a WW1 concrete tug beached in River Moy.
Donegal and Northern Ireland
Ulster Folk and transport museum Cultra
Photo collection of Belfast shipbuilding including Harland and Wolfe archive, Lloyds list reprint from 1741-1846. Some ship models
Ulster museum – Belfast
The main finds from the wrecks of Trinidad Valencera and Girona of the 1588 Spanish Armada including siege gun and vast array of jewellery and artifacts.
Commemorates fishermen lost from Carraig Una and Evelyn Marie
Greencastle museum, Greencastle co Donegal
Armada cannon from the Trinidad Valencera and material from HMS Wasp wrecked at Tory Island.
Fort Dunree – Co Donegal
Exhibition on coastal artillery and WW2 defence of the treaty ports. Also surviving naval guns from Cork harbour, cannon from Hoche on which Wolfe Tone was captured in 1798
Newry Town Hall Museum
Models and material relating to loss of Connemara and Retriever and Newry shipping.
Laurentic memorial Co Donegal
Memorial stone over graves of HMS Laurentic victims at Buncranna. The Bell is in the church at Rathmullen.
Armada cannon and artefacts from Trinidad Valencera.
HMS Caroline – Belfast Harbour
Formerly a RNVR base the degunned cruiser is the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland. There is a plan to restore the ship.
The titanic exhibitions in Belfast
A vast complex beside the location where the Titanic was built displays the Titanic heritage of Belfast in a newly built centre. It is located beside the remains of the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. The drawing office which is the sole contemporary building is to be converted to a hotel but the Thompson graving dock, and two huge shipbuilding cranes (Sampson & Goliath) survive. These replaced the Arol gantries about 1960.